Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Home Projects

Hello!!

So, I know that the past couple of days have been pretty much just pictures; and I have a reason why.  I have been waiting to do my blogs until the kids go to bed at night.  Not the best idea for me because I'm always exhausted by that point!  So, I've decided to try and find a new time in the day to blog!  Right now Eli is sleeping and Myah and Brian are watching football...I'd say now is as good a time as any!

Yesterday we broke up bright and early and went to the DeAnza Flea Market.  It is only once a month and is awesome!  Instead of the huge tents of manufactured furniture, rugs, and other goods that are sold in stores, this is like a massive garage sale with small businesses!  It was so fun!  Since the last time we went to a flea market the kids got bored in 3 seconds, we decided to bring the double stroller and the IPad!  I suggest doing this...it made is SO much more fun for Brian and I!

It took us about 2 hours to walk through the whole thing, but we walked pretty quickly.  It would be VERY easy to stay there all day looking at everything!  We bought Myah a teapot and 6 teacups to complete her tea set (for $5!) and I bought some tissue paper to make Vera's mobile!  24 sheets for $2.50?  Don't mind if I do!  I had been looking everywhere for tissue paper that matched the color scheme and until yesterday couldn't find it!  I had to jump on the opportunity!! I will show pictures of the mobile at the end of this post :)

We got back just in time to watch the Jayhawks beat the Sooners...ROCK CHALK BABY!  After naps we decided to hang the light before the sun went down...always easier said than done.  First job...locating the electrical panel.  Now, Brian and I have owned 2 homes and lived in numerous ones growing up.  There are some typical places you will find an electrical panel.  Outside of the house in the front yard is not one of them. Yep...OUTSIDE!  So weird!  Since we OBVIOUSLY didn't look there first, it took us a good 30 minutes to find it.  Once we found it, though, our next challenge was to figure out which one powered the dining room; because, of course, it wasn't labeled :).  I'm pretty awesome, however, and got it on the first try!
It only took about 20 minutes to decided where, what height, and how we wanted to hang the light, get it hooked up, and it was ready to go!  Brian went outside, flipped the breaker, and .... nothing.  Ok...maybe I should try the switch (it's a weird touch-switch).  That did it!  Eureka...we have light!!  Unfortunately, if you are prone to seizures, you cannot come over because our light flickers...and it's really annoying.  After switching out bulbs, we decided the connection wasn't tight enough...but it was dark outside and this being the only light in the room, we decided to wait until the next day.
On top of all of that...the light is REALLY dim.  All those coffee filters diffuse the light A LOT.  And the bottom has more filters than the top...oh, well :).  So if you plan on doing this project (which you should because it looks awesome during the day), don't let this be your only source of light, because you will have trouble seeing :).  I will say, though, I am loving it even more today than I was yesterday...it really looks cool in the daytime!



So, the tissue paper mobile.  Back in 2006 when I got married I forced my family members to help me make some large tissue paper poms/flowers.  I say forced because, at the time, they weren't into the crafty stuff...but they suffered through for the greater cause!  Martha Stewart had just come out with a tutorial and it was a cheap and easy way to decorate a room!  Flash forward over 5 years and here we are again!  I had seen some great examples on Pinterest and wanted to make some of my own!  It turned out pretty cute and I've even started making smaller ones to put on the wall/tree!





This is one of the smaller ones...I have only made them in one color
but I will be making more during the week!


What do you think?!

2 comments: