Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Homeward Bound

After eating breakfast at the lovely (not) Best Western, we were sitting in our hotel room twiddling our thumbs.  We had reached the point in our journey where we were ready to be a little more settled and get some stability back (ok...I had reached that point a while ago, but now the rest of the clan had reached it with me!).  We weren't allowed to check in to our new apartment until 4:00 pm...and it was just now 8:00 am.  Wow...we had a lot of time to kill.

We decided to pack up and ship out...I couldn't stay in that crappy room any longer!  I mean, it was bad. The bathroom door hit the toilet and had to be slammed open and shut to get past the stool...ugh!

We contacted our moving liason and asked if we could move in early. She said she would get back to us...turns out, we couldn't.  So we had A LOT of time to spare (it's the trend for the day).  We drove to our apartment complex to see where we would be living...and it's GORGEOUS! THANK YOU GOOGLE!!  It was only 10:30 but we were hungry, so we went to In-N-Out Burger...Brian and the kids' first time!  Brian loved it, the kids refused to eat, and I still don't see what the big deal is.  Yes, the burgers are fresh...a lot of places have fresh burgers.  Maybe it's because I don't eat the thousand island dressing....I don't know...but I'm not begging to go back anytime soon.

I don't know about most of you, but I know that when Brian and I have a plethora of time on our hands, we tend to spend money...so we try to avoid that at all costs.  But today was a fun day to do that!  We headed over to Best Buy and decided to join the rest of the world in owning an IPad 2!  Woot!  Brian and I are just as excited as the kids!  It took a while to get everything situated at BB.  We asked them to apply the invisible protection shield for us...and that took 30 minutes.  So Brian and Myah decided to try out the PS3 Move and play ping pong.  Let me tell you...there is something about preschoolers that just click when it comes to electronics.  Or maybe it's just my dorky family :).  Anyway, Myah BEAT Brian on her FIRST TIME playing the game.  He says he let her win...but I watched...not quite the truth.  He needed to redeem himself so he played her again and won (dad of the year!).  We finally made it out of BB in one piece and it was time for the kids to nap.  Since we had no home yet and the kids sleep well in the car, we decided to head to Google Headquarters to check it out!

I have to say I am SO EXCITED for Brian!  The HQ is HUGE with tons of amenities!  While we were there we saw about 25 people on Google bikes on a tour of the campus.  Brian guessed it was a new hire tour...so he'll be able to do his on Monday!  Yay!  There were bikers, hikers, runners, dog lovers, etc all on this campus enjoying the weather.  I hope the job is as relaxing as it seems...this is going to be a great opportunity for him!   

We went back to the hotel and played soccer with the kids for a little bit until the apartment was finished.  When we finally got in, it was a huge relief!  Finally a place we can stay in longer than 2 nights :).  The apartment is just under 1000 sqft. and is fully furnished!  We feel so blessed at how well Google is treating us!







After unloading the van, we started to unpack and do some domestic necessities.  I am not one to love, enjoy, or even like cleaning...but I could not WAIT to do laundry!  After over a week without a washer and dryer, it's the little things that make you happy!  It took about 13 loads, but we finally finished laundry!  Since we had a kitchen we wanted to stop eating out and have some home cooked meals....so off to the grocery store we go!

First let me say this: I usually love grocery shopping.  BUT 5:30 on a Monday with 2 kids and a husband who is on the phone and not helping is NOT FUN!  Not only that, but I wanted to pay attention to the prices to figure out differences, figure out what we needed for essentials, and try to navigate a brand new, and overpacked, store.  I have to say the stress got to me and I shut down.  Luckily Brian decided to take over and make some decisions.  We got ready-made dinner there (sandwiches and chicken tenders) because it was 7 by the time we left, but we finally had food to eat at home!

I had my first overwhelming moment of the trip.  I've always prided myself on being adaptable to new situations, but I think right now is too much new.  I have been having a tough time acclimating myself to everything; traffic, people, new prices, new streets, new home...gosh...is that enough??  LOL! And on top of that, we still need to find a more permanent place to live...in 29 days.  Oh, and I'm pregnant and need to find a new doctor and hospital.  I guess it's easy to see why I'm a little overwhelmed.  If I didn't have my faith in God and great support from friends and family, I would be a mess!

I had myself a good cry, pulled up my big girl panties, and now I'm fine.  God wouldn't put anything in our paths that we couldn't handle and I just need to trust in that...and take it a day at a time!  

Living in this apartment has been great! The kids have their own room, we have cable and internet (finally!), and the kids have toys to play with.  Feels much more normal!  

The plan for today is to start driving neighborhoods and see if we find any houses we enjoy.  I have been looking on Trulia for some homes and have contemplated paying a property management service for a list of their homes.  Wish us luck! 

1 comment:

  1. Use your new iPad to make a list of everything you need to do and then check it off as you go. Remember life is a journey not a destination. Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete